Do you ever bust your butt in your gym just to feel like you look the same as when you had a piece or two of pizza and skipped the workout?
The reason you’re not seeing the maximum results could be because you’re not giving your body everything that it needs. It’s EASY to overlook each one of these 6 diet tips, but luckily , it’s just as easy to implement them.
After reading over and over again that our diet is 80% of our results, I wanted to really focus in on what we can do to get the fitness results we want! Just a few little changes can really get the scale moving and help you go from good to great results!
Diet Tips to Maximize Those Fitness Results of Yours!
1) Calculate your daily calorie target –Even if you aren’t a calorie counter, you may want to figure your calorie range when you start your fitness program and then every time you lose 10 lbs. The reason is 1) you could track it, but 2) the range gives you an idea of how much fuel you need throughout the day. Even if you aren’t counting every calorie, you can eyeball and use portion control for your meals.
2) Skip the packaged food!!! Your fridge and pantry should be filled with clean,whole foods. Yes, a calorie is a calorie, but an apple and a Special K bar are not the same nutritionally. Your body is designed to be fueled by natural, fresh food from the ground or protein sources from an animal. It goes into a small endocrine freak out every time you feed it something from a box; this disrupts your endocrine system which is responsible for your hormones (and consequently can affect your weight loss!). Your body will operate better when it has less processed foods to focus on. Check out Shakeology if you are short on time or carry nuts and a piece of fruit with you on the go.
3) Stay hydrated – Your body loves water. It is going to be a free (or really cheap) way to naturally cleanse your body and get rid of any toxins you have. Staying hydrated also keeps your hunger in check!
4) Measure your food — Serving sizes on anything can be misleading and cause you to take in calories you didn’t even dream about eating! We all know restaurant meals are usually 2-3x larger than the recommended adult size, but the same is true for things we pick up at the grocery store. Check the label to see what a serving is and separate it out when you go to eat it to keep your portions in check. Want to go a step farther? Chalene Johnson, fitness trainer and creator of TurboFire, even suggests buying a scale to weigh your food!
5) Get your sleep! Without 7+ hours (we are all different, so if you need 8 hours to feel good insert 8+ hours) your body’s hormones get all out of wack and cause you to be hungry, sluggish during workouts, and even produce less human growth hormone essential for looking young and building muscle! Plus if you don’t sleep you’re going to be cranky, and that’s never good when you’re lifting a heavy weight.
6) Mix up your workouts, but don’t skip your rest day. Our bodies are amazing at adapting. If you keep doing the same challenging workout every day, you are going to keep conditioning the same muscles the same way, and you’ll have that workout down. Our bodies don’t change if something is easy or accomplished though — you have to be a constant challenge with your results to see the best results. Mix up your workout routines every few weeks, and you’ll see results faster!
Those are my 6 tried and true diet tips! What are yours? What are your goals right now for your health and fitness level?
My goals? I am working on reducing my body fat, tightening up my diet, and relaxing in the evenings.
I hope these simple diet ideas help you get the results you want! They can also break an exercise plateau and get you’re the max results you deserve! Also creating daily habits will help you lose the weight too!