Nashville is my hometown and is constantly growing and changing. It’s so much more than country music and cowboy boots, but I still love a Honky Tonk too! So while I’m going to tell you The Stage is the best bar on Broadway, I’m also going to share the best-kept secrets to Nashville!
5. Nashville has Wine….well, Tennessee does! Nashville and Franklin, TN both offer really cool wine festivals through the year, but Tennessee has surprisingly good wines. If you want to be able to just relax in the vines, check out Kix Brook’s winery at Arrington Vineyards. If you want an amazing selection of sweet, fruit-infused wines take a day trip to Stonehaus or Del Monaco. Want to stay close to downtown? Check out the City Winery or the Natchez Hills Winery at Fontanel.
4. Oh the places you’ll eat! As a fitness coach, I feel bad recommending some of these places – but you’re on vacation. And these places are so worth it!
You have to check out Hattie B’s Hot Chicken with a GiGi’s cupcake right next store in Midtown if you like spice. If you’re wanting a burger, Burger Republic in the Gulch or The Pharmacy in East Nashville are both worth writing home about. Expect a line at Hattie B’s and Pharmacy though! 400 Degrees Hot Chicken is also new and less of a line in downtown Nashville.
Pizza? Mafiaoza’s is the only place the Godfather would approve. Tuesday’s is $2 slice night too! There is also a Sprinkles Cupcake ATM machine just down the road.
There are also 100s of cool food trucks all around town!
3. Loveless Cafe & Zip-lining– The Loveless Cafe is known for their biscuits and home-cooking! It’s about 45-60 minutes from downtown Nashville so when we’ve been we’ve paired it with another day event like zip-lining or canoeing.
2. Know The Neighborhoods – Lots of people will focus on the Grand Ole Opry (which isn’t downtown) and Broadway’s honky tonks, but there are several cool areas just a short Uber away. You can get a free Uber using this link too!
East Nashville – It’s the trendiest area right now. Jeni’s Ice Cream, The Wild Cow (vegan), Rose Peppers, and The Pharmacy are all in East Nashville.
Downtown – This is going to be what you picture. The honky tonks, cowboy boots, and even Elvis. The Stage is my favorite honky tonk, but check them all out! In my opinion, skip 2nd Avenue unless you go to Wildhorse or BB Kings…or under 21. Acme is on the riverfront side of Broadway, and they have rooftop yoga at certain times!!
Also, check out Whiskey Kitchen for a yummy drink in between Downtown and the Gulch. They also just added an Escape downtown which is fun for a big group!
The Gulch – The Gulch is a little more artistic. Check out Catina Lareda for fresh Mexican, Burger Republic for that amazing hamburger, or hang out outside on Sambuca’s rooftop area.
12th South / Hillsboro – This is close to 2 colleges (Belmont and Vanderbilt), but you’ll see people of all ages out enjoying the warm weather, walking their dogs, and enjoying shopping, food and yoga. On your way to Green Hills, check out Cabana for a cocktail and munch on Jackson’s cookie dough egg rolls in Hillsboro.
Green Hills – If you’ve watched Nashville that’s the mall they go to. It’s a swankier part of town, and also home to the Bluebird Cafe. If you go to a show there, check out the Greenhouse Bar. It literally is a greenhouse and has a really cool atmosphere (and a killer lemonade!).
One kept secret: Charlotte – Charlotte Avenue used to be a little sketchy, but they are classing it up. You can go to Climb Nashville for rock climbing, yoga and more. You can also find some amazing yoga studios and food like Hattie B’s other location and Flip Burger (get the milkshake!).
Want to see the country-side? Go to Franklin! I am in love with Franklin, TN. Many celebrities live out there, but for me their square, Puckett’s Grocery and antiques are what make it so special. They also have a really cool movie theater and events on the square through the year.
1. Stay in Tune for Surprise Events! Keep an eye on Nashville Lifestyles and NowPlayingNashville.com for events! You never know what country star is going to be hosting an event or what is going on. Nashville has some amazing charity events, shopping, wine and food festivals and much more! We just went to a Battle of the Burger featuring 12 gourmet burgers and go to Wine on the River every Fall! Are you a nerd for lack of a better word? Check out the Way Late Play Date at the Adventure Science Center and geek out!