Gout is something I have had to learn a lot about in the past 2 years. My husband, Jake, has it and was diagnosed at the crazy-early age of 21!
When we first met, I thought it was something only old men or pirates got. (FYI: Pirates get scurvy, not gout). His started while he was still fit and pretty active with his workout. Apparently, I am not the only one in the dark about the details, though.
Recent research has shown that up to 78% of doctors do not treat gout properly.
What is gout? According to MayoClinic.com, gout is caused by the accumulation of crystals containing struvite and uric acid that latch around joints.
I have read a few nutrition books on PH Balance and the disease in order to help him fight it through diet, but I also want to read A Sufferer’s Guide to Living Pain Free. It has great reviews; anyone read it?
Fighting Gout Through Diet
What I’ve found so far…*
- Alkaline foods may help gout because it’s the accumulation of uric acid.
- Foods high in Alkaline include: almonds, brazil buts, greens, potatoes (white and sweet), lemons, watermelon, limes, grapefruits, mangoes, papayas, flaxseed, peppers, apples, garlic, apricots, cherries, kiwi, bananas, oranges, peaches, pears, raisins, hazelnuts, spinach, tomatoes, zucchini, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, whey protein powder, chestnuts, fermented tofu and tempeh, cottage cheese, and seeds (such as sunflower, pumpkin, and squash)
- Vitamin C may also help. WebMD said: Researchers found men who had the highest vitamin C intake from supplements and food were up to 45% less likely to develop the painful condition than those who had the lowest.
- Apple Cider Vinegar may break up the crystals; therefore, it may help gout symptoms. The standard remedy is to drink 2 tablespoons of vinegar mixed with 1 cup of water twice daily, according to “The People’s Pharmacy Guide to Home and Herbal Remedies.” – Livestrong.com
- Processed foods may increase uric acid and symptoms.
- Fructose also increases gout. Fructose is made from corn syrup, and it is found in most sodas.
- The worst foods: beef, pork, veal, shellfish, canned tuna, sardines, walnuts, white flour
Have you found anything to help?
*Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I have any medical experience. I am merely a person trying to help someone through their diet, and I have used Livestrong.com, as well as, Dr. Asa’s and Jillian Michael’s publications.