After doing some research, I have found 11 foods for weight loss, and I bet the last 2 will surprise you!
I decided to start digging into the nutrition of foods after reading an article in Shape Magazine. In the article, it talked about how women that eat a variety of foods typically are at a healthier weight and a lower body fat level than those that restrict their food for a period of time.
It makes sense to me. For one, when you go too restrictive the chances of a relapse into old habits or even binging on food can happen. Another reason it made sense to me was because our bodies are always needing something new and different. This goes for our workouts but also how we fuel our bodies with food.
So instead of going strictly vegetarian or Paleo, I chose to focus on the top healthy foods — that are also foods for weight loss — so that no food group ever feels off limits. It’s all about moderation.
So without further ado…
Your Top 11 Foods for Weight Loss (the Last 2 Will Surprise You!)
- Beans – Beans have a variety of benefits. Black beans pack 15g of protein. White and garbanzo beans also pack a powerful punch of protein and fiber.
- Salmon – Salmon packs Omega 3’s which are linked to a healthy weight, healthy hair, and radiant skin!
- Eggs – One study found that overweight women who ate egg breakfasts lost twice as much weight as women who started their days with bagels. – Source Studies have also shown eggs did not raise women’s cholesterol vs the women eating a bagel.
- Low-Fat Milk – The milk will keep you fuller longer because of the combination of fatty acids and protein. It also is a good source of calcium which has additional health benefits.
- Greens – Aim to eat something green at every meal. Broccoli, spinach, lettuce, and cabbage are all great foods for weight loss.
- Blueberries – The perfect snack. A full cup only has 80 calories and packs 4g of fiber!
- Avocado – The healthy monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) help reduce hunger. Plus, each serving of avocado contain protein and fiber to keep you full and feeling satisfied. Avocados are high in calories though so limit it to 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado a day.
- Almonds – Almonds are another good source of healthy fat and satisfy our need for something crunchy! Choose a lightly salted option for a good swap from potato chips.
- Pine Nuts – Pine nuts also contain heart-healthy fatty acids to help hunger and reduce belly fat. A serving is about 80 nuts too so eat up!
- Wine – Drinking a glass of wine versus a serving of liquor has been shown to narrow your waist and have less belly fat. Plus the resveratrol, the antioxidant found in the skin of grapes, helps stop fat from storing itself in the body.
- Cheese – Yup – CHEESE! You’ll want to look for the “grass-fed” label and choose a goat or feta cheese. Both pack a fatty acid which helps you feel full and burn fat.
In addition to these 11 foods for weight loss, peppers and apple cider vinegar have been linked to help you lose weight and burn more fat.