Yesterday I blogged about my trip to Las Vegas. A trip, especially one in a different timezone, always kills my inner clock and energy. I have figured out a few tricks to overcoming the beast of a travel hangover though. I’m sharing how I get back into a healthy routine after vacation today!
7 Tips To Getting Back into Healthy Habits After Vacation
1. Throughout your trip drink plenty of water.
2. Plan your flight for the morning or midday. I always think I will sleep on the plane, but it never works. I end up being wide awake and cranky for the flight and not worth a darn the rest of the day. Plus, sleeping on the plane can get your inner clock off balance because you are not going to be able to get a full-night’s rest on a plane.
3. Go to bed at your normal time when you get home. If I go to bed earlier than normal, I sit there staring at the ceiling counting sheep. On the other hand, if I go to bed later than normal (like Vegas with Pacific time) I end up wanting to sleep later. Then, I’m stuck in a vicious cycle. By going to bed at the same time, you reestablish your routine and get back into your healthy habits faster.
4. Wake up at your normal time. This is my weakness. Blogging and coaching allow me to set my own hours. So if I sleep terribly, why can I not sleep a little later? This is usually fine with me, but after a trip, I have to force myself back into the healthy habit of 8.5 hours, or I’m off for a whole week or longer.
5. Rehydrate. On vacation you have so much going through your mind. Plus, if you are like me, your routine of 5 meals a day and 8 glasses of water usually gets thrown out the window. I do the best I can, but even walking outside in Vegas requires more water and fuel than a normal work day. I aim to drink my recommended dosage of water (half my body weight in ounces) when I get home for a few days.
6. Workout. I was so wore out at 3 o’clock this afternoon, but I knew it was last chance to get a workout in before the evening started. I popped in a strength dvd because it’s my favorite workout. Within 10 minutes, I had more energy and the headache I had was gone! I even popped in T25 to try afterwards. 2-a-days a couple of days after a trip? I’m not going to lie — I felt pretty awesome!
7. Have go to snacks and meals when you get home. I never want to stock the house before I go somewhere because you end up with fuzzy berries and moldy bread, but I also hate having nothing in the house when I get home. I stocked up on almonds, walnuts, Shakeology (for lunch), Greek yogurt or eggs (check the expiration before you leave), and frozen meat and veggies. I still have enough groceries for tomorrow without running to the store. My dad also picked up LOTS of berries at Whole Foods while we were gone.
It can be tough to get back into a healthy routine after vacation, but the faster you can the better off you will be! That way you never feel deprived on a trip, and you know what to expect when you get back home.