I can already tell eating healthy and working out with a full time job is a challenge. Between the paperwork, helping students, creating lesson plans, and then relating them to life there is hardly time to eat anything much less workout. Here are a few of my tips to keeping it fit after a week of teaching.
- I decided to not overcomplicate life. This week has been crazy for me. I was suppose to cook on Thursday, but I was sleepy and ready to crash when I got home. Instead of cooking, I had an Amy’s bowl in the freezer and broke it out instead. Yes, a homemade meal would have been better, but my organic lasagna wasn’t as bad as a pizza or Wendy’s.
- I’m planning ahead. Decide on a meal plan & go grocery shopping Saturday morning armed with a list of what you need. Sunday, I will prep everything for the at least the next 3 days. That means baking chicken, cooking sweet potatoes, cutting up my fruit and vegetables, etc.
- I’m creating a “night before” routine. I have to get up at 5:40am for my job. I am use to waking up at 8-9am. So as soon as I get home from school (because I am still running on adrenaline), I have been making my breakfast, lunch, and snacks. By doing so, I don’t have to worry about it the rest of the night and can sleep in a little longer in the morning. By having my oatmeal already in a bowl with flaxseed and wheat germ mixed in, I can just boil some water while I put on my makeup then eat. :) I also take my shower at night too so I can just wake up and have my hair dry and ready to straighten.
- I’m making my snacks/meals easy. I did another post on healthy snacks on the go, but I feel like it’s always worth mentioning. I love banana’s and peanut butter, cherries, almonds, blueberries, Luna Bars, PopChips, and walnuts because they are so easy to grab and do not have to be refrigerated. I also do peanut butter on a pita a lot!
- I’m breaking out Jillian’s 30 Day Shred (20 minutes) and TurboFire’s HIIT workouts! I love my long workouts, but I just cannot do 4:40 to get in a hour of exercise yet. I thought my RKS Kettlebell was shipped, but it ended up being the shoes I ordered. So I am still waiting to try it, but on a positive note, the shoes are cute. For now though Jillian & Chalene seem to kick my butt in 20-30 minutes anyways.
What type of quick habits do you do to stay on track? Teachers, how do you feel after a week of teaching?
Is exhaustion normal?