Last night, I maybe sneezed twice, and I didn’t think anything about it. That’s until 4 a.m. rolled around and I woke up with eyes watering, a swollen throat, and one functioning nostril. From there, I woke up about every hour trying to get comfortable. I did some researching, and I found these 12 cold remedies to help.
12 Cold Remedies to Get Over a Cold Faster
1. Pop a Zinc Supplement – According to Web MD, zinc taken within 24 hours upon feeling sick reduces the length of your cold by approximately one day. Luckily, I am already taking zinc to keep my dermatitis (yucky skin rash) under control, but it’s super cheap in stores if you don’t already have some!
2. Pop a Vitamin C too — Experts have also found vitamin C can help reduce the length of sickness IF you take it at the very beginning of a cold.
3. Sleep — This is my favorite of the cold remedies. Your body is having to fight something off and that takes energy! Try to get a couple of extra hours of sleep each night, squeeze in a nap, and/or take 1 or 2 things off of your To-do list and rest instead. It seems frivolous as I even write it, but I have to remember I’m not as productive sick! I need to limit the days of feeling cruddy!
4. Slurp up some chicken noodle soup — I personally hate the stuff, but I will try it with Christmas right around the corner. According to CNN, chicken soup contains neutrophils, which stop the release of bacteria stimulated by the cold virus.
5. Eat the Right Kind of Foods — WebMd has a great list, and I just had to share it with you!
- Bananas: Soothe upset stomachs.
- Bell Peppers: Loaded with vitamin C.
- Blueberries: Curbs diarrhea, high in natural aspirin. (May lower fevers and help with the aches and pains.)
- Carrots: Loaded with beta-carotene.
- Chili Peppers: Can open sinuses, and help break up mucus in the lungs.
- Cranberries: Help prevent bacteria from sticking to cells lining the bladder and urinary tract.
- Mustard & Horseradish: Helps break up mucus in air passages.
- Onion: Has phytochemicals purported to help the body clear bronchitis and other infections.
- Rice: Curbs diarrhea.
- Tea: Black and green tea (not herbals) contain catechin, a phytochemical purported to have natural antibiotic and anti-diarrhea effects.
6. Drink Plenty of the Right Liquids –Water will help to detox your body, and full fruit juices are full of vitamins to help your body recover from a cold. Look for juices like orange, cherry, and pineapple for the best results. You also want to avoid cokes, coffee, and anything with caffeine. Need something with a little pep? Stick with green tea–the antioxidants will help balance the dehydrating effects of the caffeine. Also, try to avoid dairy products while you’re sick because they can produce mucus…which is the last thing I need right now. (Sorry for that detail)
7. Gargle — It helps ease the pain, break up mucus, and kill bacteria.
8. ALWAYS blow your nose instead of sniffing –I am SO guilty of this. Who in the world wants to blow their nose when it’s quiet somewhere? But your nose may be running because it is trying to get rid of the junk that made you sick in the first place…get rid of that by blowing your nose!
9. Consider a humidifier — The humidity will help the mucus break up and move out of your system.
10. Go to the pharmacy — you may need to a decongestant or a medicine to help ease your cough so you can rest. Some generics are as low as $4 dollars now–so why not?
11. Adapt your workouts — If it’s a minor cold, working out at a moderate level is okay and may even be good for your immune system, but if you are sick as a dog or have a severe cold, limit your workouts. Here is a post I did just about Working Out While Your Sick
12. Take a Warm Shower — I remember being little and my dad would pound on my back to break up the congestion and make me take a hot shower after to loosen it up even more. While the pounding on the back is totally up to you, I truly believe a hot shower does wonders!
Since you are reading this, I assume you are sick….I hope you feel better really soon!
What are your favorite cold remedies to get over a cold faster?
Have you ever tried any of these cold remedies?
Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs are going away forever!
You can still get the Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs for a limited time though – see below for links to order at a discounted price.
Les Mills had partnered with Beachbody in 2011 to create a DVD program based on their famous BodyCombat and BodyPump workouts. They are two of my favorite workouts, and now will be discontinued. :( Bummer!!!
The reason the Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs are going away is because Les Mills has been bought out by Reebok.
Can you still get the Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs?
You CAN still get both workouts right now though. They are predicting that these workouts will be SOLD OUT by February 2015, and that time can change based on the high demand.
So if you’ve ever thought about doing Les Mills Combat or Pump, it’s a great time to do so. They are both discounted below retail price, and the challenge packs are so much cheaper than when I ordered!
Les Mills Combat is a mix of karate, tae kwon do, boxing, muay thai/kickboxing, capoeira, and jiu-jitsu at an explosive pace.
Challenge Pack (HEAVILY discounted)
I love Combat because it makes you feel so powerful and it’s great for a moderate to advanced exerciser. There are modifications for a beginner though. I really like the deluxe kit for the upper and lower body blast workouts. They are short and so effective. Read my full Combat review here
^^ That’s Dan one of the main trainers in Combat. I have a small crush on him. :P
Benefits of Les Mills Combat Workout
- Improves heart and lung function and reduces the risk of heart disease
- Tones and shapes key muscle groups
- Burns calories for a leaner body
- Improves coordination and agility
- Improves bone density
- Improves posture and core strength and stability
- Builds self-confidence….you’ll seriously feel so cool after the workouts. :P
Les Mills PUMP is known for helping with weight loss and uses light-to-moderate weights with high repetitions to tone and lean out your muscles.
Unlike a traditional strength training workout, my heart rate will get into the 170′s which is a normal cardio workout for me. This helps to torch more calories than a traditional strength routine. Get my full review here.
Joel is in PUMP with approximately 10 other trainers throughout the program. I love him, and both him and Dan were so sweet in person.
What Do You Get When You Order Les Mills PUMP?
- 7 fat-blasting, lean muscle-building workouts: 1 minute, 3 20 minutes, 1 30 minutes, 1 45 minutes, 2 55 minutes workouts
- Your very own barbell that breaks down for easy storage
- Two 5-lb. and two 10-lb. weighted plates
- Fitness and nutrition guides designed specifically for PUMP
- Workout calendar
- 2 bonus workouts
- Plus, get a free workout when you buy from a coach like me
Do you love the Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs too?
I’m going to miss Dan and Rach!! :(
(Like this post on Cold Remedies? You may also like, Working out When Your Sick or Healthy Holiday Series) Last night, I maybe sneezed twice, and I didn’t think anything about it. That’s until 4 a.m. rolled around and I woke up with eyes watering, a swollen throat, and one functioning nostril. From there, I woke up […]
Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs are going away forever! You can still get the Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs for a limited time though – see below for links to order at a discounted price. Les Mills had partnered with Beachbody in 2011 to create a DVD program based on their famous BodyCombat and […]
Today I have to share the secret weapon for a picture-perfect holiday party smile! My mom and I bought tried Crest’s 3D White Luxe Supreme FlexFit Whitestrips to get our smiles glistening before our family Christmas picture and a trip to New York. Actually, I tried them first, and then she noticed my teeth looking […]
Working out during the holidays is a challenge. Besides the yummy casseroles and large turkey portions, my schedule is always changing between parties, work, and traveling. Constantly being around my favorite foods can be tempting enough, then add in being tired and my working out during the holidays seems nearly impossible. But it is possible […]
- Cold Remedies – 12 Ways to Get Over a Cold and Feel Better
- Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs – Going Away Forever!
- Have a Picture-Perfect Holiday Party Smile – Sponsored by Crest
- Working Out During the Holidays: 5 Tips to a Healthy Holiday
- Pinterest Healthy Holiday Challenge – Healthy Holiday Tips
- Avoid Muffin Top – 13 Ways to Stay Healthy at the Holidays
- Insanity MAX 30 – Shaun T’s New Workout for December ’14
- Les Mills Combat Mixed Martial Arts Workout at Home
- Beachbody Black Friday Deals 2014 are coming!
- Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes: Paleo Vegan & Gluten-Free