I first heard about Himalayan salt while doing a vegan meal plan for 21 days. To my surprise, it contains over 84 trace minerals and elements in contract to table salt that is 97.5% sodium chloride. The affordable salt swap can make a big difference in your health routine, and by the end of this article I bet you’ll even have a pink Himalayan salt lamp!
So while table salt can increase your chance of hypertension, osteoporosis, and kidney disease, Himalayan pink salt actually has benefits linked to culinary, therapeutic and cosmetic benefits when consumed. This post contains our research, experience and a couple affiliate links.
Why is it Pink?
The color is due to its unique chemical makeup. There are variable amounts of iron and copper components, as well as, polyhalite’s calcium, magnesium, and potassium components. (source)
Benefits of Pink Himalayan Salt
- Balanced electrolytes in the body
- Strengthens bones
- Boosts a healthy metabolism
- Lower blood pressure
- Improved circulation
- Prevents premature aging
- Limits bloating
- Promotes a balanced pH level in the body
- Improved Alkaline levels in the body (linked to reduced inflammation)
- Aids digestion
- Supports thyroid and adrenal function
- Helps blood sugar health
- Improves absorption of food
- Aids the respiratory system
- Reduces cramps
- Naturally detoxes the body
- Improve body’s hormone balance
- Improves sleep patterns
- Acts as a powerful antihistamine
- Helps with hydration like an sports drink (Recipe)
- Promotes healthy kidney and gall bladder health
- Even encourages a healthy sex drive!
Himalayan Pink salt shows up in many ways, and each way has its own benefits. It’s also really affordable; I bought this Himalayan Salt for under $15.
Just 1 teaspoon a day can help give you previously mentioned benefits.
Consuming Pink Salt
You can sprinkle pink Himalayan salt on any food just like you would regular table salt. Because of the difference in it’s chemical makeup, you will be able to avoid the negative effects table salt contains and even get a natural boost.
If you’re like me, you’ve also heard of people drinking a glass of warm lemon water everyday for good health. While I am careful not to do this daily as the lemon can erode your enamel, an occasional glass with a sprinkle of pink salt will boost the health cocktail. You can also add it to any drink or smoothie.
If you’re really wanting to see the benefits of pink Himalayan salt though – you make choose to make a salt water sole (pronounced so-lay). This mixture gives you water that has fully absorbed the salt and can be added to any fresh glass of water.
Making Your Sole
- Fill a glass jar with about a quarter of pink salt. *Make sure the lid is not metal*
- Add filtered water to the jar until it’s about 3/4 full.
- Put the lid on the jar and shake. I like to leave my jar out overnight to let the salt dissolve.
- In the morning, there should be a little salt at the bottom that never dissolved. If you don’t see salt, you can add a little more. You want it to not be able to absorb anymore.
- To use your sole, add up to 1 tsp of the salt water to another glass of filtered water first thing each morning.
In order to have some of the health benefits, you will need to consume the pink stuff; however, you can use the salt in products and even in a lamp form!
Using Pink Himalayan Salt
One of my favorite ways to use salts is in a bath! I mean, who doesn’t love a nice relaxing soak? I use 1-2 cups in a big bath.
The magnesium in the salt can help ease muscle soreness. Also, there is belief that pink salt can emit positive energy which can allow you to detox naturally while in the bath.
You can also get similar benefits from body scrubs. One of my good friends makes me an aromatherapy blend with calming oils and salts for the bath or as a scrub. It’s a great treat and provides immediate relaxation.
I’m such a believer in this pink stuff that I bought a Himalayan salt lamp last year. So while you can eat the salt, you can also decorate with it for additional health benefits like air detoxification and to ease allergies. It’s not the prettiest thing, and my husband calls it the “alien lamp,” but I figure what’s the harm. If it can help with my sinuses even a little bit, it’s worth having a sort-of ugly lamp in my office.
Himalayan Salt Lamp Benefits
I snuck the salt into the house and bath pretty easily, but when I brought in my big crystal-looking thing, my husband looked at me a little funny.
While there is no scientific evidence (yet), its believed that when the salt crystal is heated it emits negative ions (aka positive energy) into the air. So Himalayan salt lamps are a way to heat the crystal and decorate your house in a hippie-chic style. Click to see Himalayan Salt Lamp I bought.
If you do buy into the positive energy emitting thing, or you’re willing to at least try it out if it’s cheap enough like me, there are some benefits!
- Cleans air (Detoxification)
- Reduces allergens and asthma irritants
- Eases coughing
- Improves energy (better air, better energy levels!)
- Neutralizes Electromagnetic Radiation (from electronics)
- Helps reduce symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Improves sleep
- Reduces static
Is it all a crock?
Maybe. A lot of it comes down to perspective in my opinion. If you believe you’re lucky, you’re more likely to have better luck. If you believe you’ll have a crappy day, you probably will. So if you believe the benefits of the salt, you’ll likely see some of them.
Is it a cure-all? No way. Nothing besides God is going to be able to offer a cure-all, but again if you believe the benefits you can see them.
I’m normally a skeptic – especially if something is hyped-up or expensive. This is neither. I figure why not – it is at least a healthier alternative to white table salt.