One of our favorite quick and easy dinners is chicken tacos! We make crockpot taco meat without salsa once or twice a month! I just throw in chicken and a handful of ingredients in the morning, and supper is ready when we get home!
These crockpot taco chicken is so tender and super easy to make!
You can also use it for so many things too:
- loaded nachos,
- Mexican pizzas,
- and so much more!
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos
This is such a family favorite recipe, and it’s really simple to make! You just put everything into the crockpot and walk away!
The first thing I do to make crockpot taco meat is to place the chicken into the slow cooker.
I personally use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could use skinless, bone-in breasts or thighs as well.
Then I cover the chicken with fajita seasoning mix.
Once the chicken is covered with seasoning, I add just enough water to cover the breasts.
I then put the crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Once the chicken has cooked, I remove it from the crockpot and shred it up using two forks or these scissors.
Here’s what it will look like after shredding it up. Now, you can use it for anything from tacos to pizza!
You can eat it immediately or refrigerate any leftovers for 1-2 days. You can also freeze it!
Can You Keep Taco Meat Warm in a Crockpot?
Yes, you can use the warm setting on your crockpot to keep your chicken warm.
Can I Make Taco Meat the Day Before?
You can absolutely make your taco meat the day before. You’ll just want to refrigerate it until you’re ready to heat it back up and serve.
I love to go ahead and make a big pot of it before a party, so that I can just warm it up and then set out toppings for a taco bar.
How Do You Reheat Taco Meat?
You can reheat taco chicken on the stove or in the microwave. I think it tastes best when warmed up over the stove, but we normally microwave a serving of it for about 20-30 seconds because it’s so easy!
Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, your chicken should be thawed but raw when making this recipe. You’ll love how tender and juicy it turns out!
How Can I Make Keto Crockpot Taco Meat?
Because chicken is naturally low carb, this recipe is also considered keto crockpot taco meat. You just want to add in a healthy fat. We typically top our cooked chicken with avocado, but you could also use full-fat cheese or sour cream!
Healthy Crockpot Chicken Tacos
While you can use the taco meat for anything, we usually make healthy crockpot chicken tacos with it.
It’s just so easy and perfect if you have picky eaters!
What Type of Toppings are Good With This Crockpot Taco Meat Recipe?
- avocado or guacamole
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- pico de gallo
You can also add beans or rice to your tacos. We prefer black beans because they add in fiber and make the meal stretch a little further.
You may also like:
- Mexican Chicken Street Tacos
- Healthy Crockpot Meals for Weight loss & Your Family
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Crockpot Recipe
- 1lb Chicken Breast
- 1 Taco or Fajita Seasoning Packet of Your Choice
- 2-3 Cups Water
- 1 Large Avocado
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Jar Salsa of Your Choice
- 1 Large Tortilla of Your Choice
- Place chicken breast into the crockpot.
- Cover chicken breast with seasoning packet.
- Cover chicken with water.
- Turn crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Once it's cooked, carefully remove the chicken.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks or toss and chop salad tongs.
- Place chicken on tortilla and top with toppings of your choice!
- The chicken will be super tender coming out of the crockpot. So you may want to remove it with spatula or spoon versus a fork.
- You'll want to refrigerate any leftovers, but you can eat them the next day.
- We reheat our taco meat in the microwave typically.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click to view our full disclosure.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 570mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 43g