There is nothing like waking up at 4 a.m. with eyes watering, a swollen throat, and one functioning nostril. We’ve put together 13 cold remedies to help you feel better faster!
12 Cold Remedies to Get Over a Cold Faster
1. Pop a Zinc Supplement — According to Web MD, zinc taken within 24 hours upon feeling sick reduces the length of your cold by approximately one day.
2. Take a Vitamin C too — Experts have also found vitamin C can help reduce the length of sickness IF you take it at the very beginning of a cold.
3. Sleep — This is my favorite of the cold remedies. Your body is having to fight something off and that takes energy! Try to get a couple of extra hours of sleep each night, squeeze in a nap, and/or take 1 or 2 things off of your To-do list and rest instead. It will make you more productive later!
4. Slurp up some chicken noodle soup — I personally hate the stuff, but I will try it with Christmas right around the corner. According to CNN, chicken soup contains neutrophils, which stop the release of bacteria stimulated by the cold virus.
5. Eat the Right Kind of Foods — WebMd has a great list, and I just had to share it with you!
- Bananas: Soothe upset stomachs.
- Bell Peppers: Loaded with vitamin C.
- Blueberries: Curbs diarrhea, high in natural aspirin. (May lower fevers and help with the aches and pains.)
- Carrots: Loaded with beta-carotene.
- Chili Peppers: Can open sinuses, and help break up mucus in the lungs.
- Cranberries: Help prevent bacteria from sticking to cells lining the bladder and urinary tract.
- Mustard & Horseradish: Helps break up mucus in air passages.
- Onion: Has phytochemicals purported to help the body clear bronchitis and other infections.
- Rice: Curbs diarrhea.
- Tea: Black and green tea (not herbals) contain catechin, a phytochemical purported to have natural antibiotic and anti-diarrhea effects.
6. Drink Plenty of the Right Liquids –Water will help to detox your body, and full fruit juices are full of vitamins to help your body recover from a cold. Look for juices like orange, cherry, and pineapple for the best results. You also want to avoid cokes, coffee, and anything with caffeine.
Need something with a little pep? Stick with green tea–the antioxidants will help balance the dehydrating effects of the caffeine. Also, try to avoid dairy products while you’re sick because they can produce mucus…which is the last thing I need right now. (Sorry for that detail)
7. Gargle — It helps ease the pain, break up mucus, and kill bacteria.
8. ALWAYS blow your nose instead of sniffing –I am SO guilty of this. Who in the world wants to blow their nose when it’s quiet somewhere? But your nose may be running because it is trying to get rid of the junk that made you sick in the first place…get rid of that by blowing your nose!
9. Consider a humidifier — The humidity will help the mucus break up and move out of your system.
10. Go to the pharmacy — You may need to a decongestant or a medicine to help ease your cough so you can rest. Some generics are as low as $4 dollars now–so why not?
11. Adapt your workouts — If it’s a minor cold, working out at a moderate level is okay and may even be good for your immune system, but if you are sick as a dog or have a severe cold, limit your workouts. Here is a post I did just about Working Out While Your Sick
12. Take a Warm Shower — I remember being little and my dad would pound on my back to break up the congestion and make me take a hot shower after to loosen it up even more. While the pounding on the back is totally up to you, I truly believe a hot shower does wonders!
Since you are reading this, I assume you are sick….I hope you feel better really soon!
What are your favorite cold remedies to get over a cold faster?
Have you ever tried any of these cold remedies?