This simple guide will help you create a healthy shopping list plan for the grocery store in just a few minutes.
We also kept in mind that budgeting and weight loss are important to so many people. So our grocery list also reflects that!
What is the Healthiest Thing to Eat?
There isn’t just one healthy thing to eat – thank goodness right?!
The healthiest foods to eat would be whole, unprocessed foods. These would include fresh produce, organic dairy and meats, whole grains, beans, healthy fats, and nuts. Each of these is included on our healthy shopping list below.
YOUR HEALTHY SHOPPING LIST
This list is designed to provide you not with a meal plan, but with a list of healthy foods that should always be in your pantry and refrigerator for go-to options.
We like to choose 2-3 fruits and 3-5 veggies including a leafy green one.
Anything marked with a * means it’s better to buy organic because of the thin skin of the food.
- Berries (any type)*
- Any in-season fruit
- Green Beans
- Brussel Sprouts
- Any in-season vegatable
Canned goods are a great way to save money without skimping on your goals! On canned tomatoes look for brands without BPA. Due to the acidity of tomatoes, this tends be harsher than other canned goods. Look for brands like Amy’s, Eden Foods and Muir Glen.
- Tomato Sauce
- Crushed, Diced or Whole Tomatoes
- Low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- No-Salt Added Black or Kidney Beans
- 1 Can or bag of Lentils (Trader Joe’s has them in the frozen section too!)
- Chunk light tuna
- Low-sodium soup of your choice
- Organic bone broth like our affiliate Kettle & Fire
- Steamer Vegetables of Your Choice
- Chopped Onions
- Cauliflower Rice
- No sugar-added berries or fruit
- Veggie Burgers (less than 200 calories with at least 4g of protein & fiber)
- Frozen Dinners (optional) with less than 500 mg & calories per serving
Grains, Legumes, and Starches
Make sure to check the nutrition label to avoid anything that says “enriched flour.” This means it isn’t 100% whole grain.
- Sweet Potatoes or Yams
- Whole-wheat Pasta
- Brown Rice or Quinoa
- Whole-Grain bread, muffins or tortillas
Meat or Protein
Antibiotic free meat is what we always aim for; however, we know it’s pricer. Farmer’s markets may also have special deals. Choose 2-3 options below.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Wild Salmon
- Grass-fed, organic lean beef (filet, hanger, sirloin or 90% lean ground beef)
- Turkey Breast
- You may also choose firm tofu, tempeh, or frozen edamame.
- Low-fat plain Greek Yogurt
- Smelly cheeses are best (bleu, gouda, goat, etc)
- Skim Milk (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin Coconut oil
- Almond butter
- Chia seeds or Flax seed
- Almonds, Cashews or Walnuts
Oils, Condiments & Seasonings
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Hot sauce
- Vinegar (apple cider, rice, etc)
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Lemons or limes
- Local or organic honey
- Crushed Red Pepper
Supplements & On the Go Options (optional)
The ideas below are affiliate links.
- Vital Proteins’ Collagen for Skin, Hair and Nails
- A Good Multi-Vitamin
- Organic Green or Moringa Tea
- Protein Bars (See our full-review)
What Should You Have in your Refrigerator?
Because you’re purchasing a lot of whole foods, a lot of it will need to be in the refrigerator. All of your fruit, veggies (minus onion) and dairy will need to be refrigerated. Your meal will need to be either refrigerated or frozen. Tortillas’ and Flaxseed’s packaging will also often say to refrigerate after opening.
What is the Best Grocery Store App?
We know making a healthy shopping list is probably a new habit that takes time.
Add in coupon-clipping and finding recipes, and healthy eating isn’t looking so easy anymore.
Let us be the first to tell you – we love EASY! So we’ve found a couple grocery store apps to help you make shopping simple!
Notes app for a Healthy Grocery List
We personally keep our grocery list on our Notes app on our phone so no need to add something new.
Ibotta is the BEST Coupon Grocery Store App
Our favorite coupon grocery store app is by far Ibotta.
It allows you to earn cash back on everything from fresh produce to batteries! We found it when they had a $1.50 off Halo Top ice cream, and now we use it every week!
It’s a free app that is available for iPhone and Android users, and it’s very user-friendly.
You earn cash back when you select and buy certain items (100s to choose from) and then scan your receipt. Every time you hit $20 you can redeem for cash or a gift card!
Ibotta works for a ton of stores like Publix, Krogers, Walmart, Ralph’s, Sam’s Club, Walgreens and many more!
How We Eat
We like to focus on clean eating 80% of the time, and then the other 20% is open to enjoy your favorite foods that might not pack such a health punch.
This way nothing is completely off limits and foods aren’t labeled as “good” or “bad”. Get Our Free 5 Day 80/20 Diet Meal Plan
Get Our 1 Page Healthy Shopping List for Free!
You may also like: