Craving a brownie? You can enjoy our healthy and delicious 3 ingredient chocolate protein mug cake within the next 2 minutes! What?! You heard us right — this quick and easy microwave recipe contains no flour or grains, and it’s so gooey, decadent and moist! Plus, you can easily make it paleo, gluten-free, and nut-free!
This Chocolate Protein Mug Cake is a great source for your protein and carbs, so it makes a great after-workout treat or a dessert that won’t kill your macros.
So, Kalee tasked me with trying out this recipe to see if it was yummy enough for our readers.
I often like being the guinea pig on the recipes, but other times – such as the gag 3 keto ingredient pancake recipe – I regret ever taking on the challenge.
HOWEVER, this recipe passes the YUMMY test!! and I have no regrets!
This Chocolate Protein Mug Cake can be made in 2 minutes, and it’s a great source for your protein and carbs, so it makes a great after-workout treat or a dessert that won’t kill your macros.
You Only Need 3 Ingredients
Sure, sure, you can get fancy and add in some spices if you want, but this recipe all by itself is yummy.
You will need:
- Banana – really ripe
- An egg – one is all you need
- Chocolate Protein Powder – I used my favorite Performance ReCover
How to Make the Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
Prepare yourself. This is challenging.
I kid, I kid!! Breathe!! It’s so easy!!
- Beat your egg in a bowl or even in the mug you’re going to use
- Mash the ripe banana until there are no chunks
- Then put beaten egg, mashed banana, and one scoop of your favorite chocolate protein powder altogether and mix well.
- Put your mug into the microwave and zap for 1 minute (or until desired gooey-ness or lack thereof).
- If you’re talented, like moi, you can do all of this in one mug. If you’re a bit nervous about egg shells, then beat the eggs in a separate bowl and then combine all the ingredients, and pour into your mug.
- Make sure your mug is large enough. OH. BOY. You really don’t want this easy chocolate mug cake turned into a hot microwave mess to clean up!
- If you’d like to use vegan protein powder, add in some almond milk to make the batter a little more pudding like. Vegan protein powder absorbs more liquid than its counterpart, so you want to add in a little milk to keep your cake
dare I say it againmoist. Cooking time may vary, too. Go with lower time and just add as needed.
Things to Note
Due to this having a whole banana in it, I would not say it’s keto-friendly. However, depending on your protein powder, this chocolate protein mug cake can be a paleo, gluten-free, flour-free, dairy-free treat!!
This deliciousness, if you want to wait on it, can also be cooked in the oven. You may want to add 1/2 tsp of baking powder if you do this option though.
Did Someone Say “Toppings”??
Go wild here!! We used blueberries, but other great choices would be:
- ice cream, duh!! but watch those goals!! Maybe a nice high protein ice cream like Halo Top.
- peanut butter – we like these higher protein peanut & almond butters by All American Butter.
- chocolate chips – oh yeah, we are with you!! More chocolate ON chocolate! Score!
- chopped up Built Bars would be amazing and add in more protein!
- fresh fruit – we did blueberries, but strawberries, raspberries, or any kind of berry would be great!
To bake: Pre-heat oven to 350. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 mins or until desired consistency. You can insert a toothpick to check level of done-ness. Nutrition Information isn't always accurate. This is based on my protein powder and the values gathered from CarbManager app.
If you prefer to bake, make sure to use a mug or ramequin that is oven-safe.
Serving Size: 1 mug
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312.5Total Fat: 6.7gCholesterol: 191.5mgCarbohydrates: 37.5gNet Carbohydrates: 34.4gFiber: 3.1gSugar: 21gProtein: 27.6g
Pre-heat oven to 350.
Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 mins or until desired consistency.
You can insert a toothpick to check level of done-ness.
Nutrition Information isn't always accurate. This is based on my protein powder and the values gathered from CarbManager app.
If you like this recipe, don’t be scared to click share or pin one of the pics on your Favorite Recipes Pinterest boards!!
We love it when y’all make one of our recipes and share on social media!
Make sure to tag us, so that we can see it, too!! @SoreyFitness will get us on both IG and Facebook.
You might also like these recipes:
Keto Peanut Butter Fat Bombs!! So yummy and only 4 ingredients!!
3 Ingredient Keto Peanut Butter Cookies!! Notice a trend here…I keep it simple when I cook.