One of my favorite things to take to a party is my buffalo chicken dip crock pot recipe! It’s so simple to make, and it’s always gone by the end of the night! It’s also perfect for tailgating in the Fall!
While the recipe isn’t necessarily something I’d eat on a daily basis, this is a keto-friendly buffalo chicken dip. This means it’s low-carb, and as with anything – eaten in moderation it’s a fun, tasty choice!
How to Make The Buffalo Chicken Dip Crock Pot Recipe
My favorite way to make low carb, hot chicken dip is in the crockpot! It just makes the chicken so easy to shred, and if you’re at a party – you can just take the slow cooker in to keep it warm!
To make buffalo chicken dip, you first want to make sure you have your ingredients: chicken breasts, cream cheese, Hidden Valley Ranch Mix, sour cream, cheddar cheese and hot sauce.
Then, you’ll place your chicken in the slow cooker. You’ll want to make sure they’re not frozen – if they are, I like to defrost them in the microwave or put them in the refrigerator the night before.
Cover the chicken with water or broth for 6-8 hours on low.
After it has cooked, remove the chicken, drain the water, and place the chicken back in the crockpot. Shred the chicken either with two forks, or I love this little scissor tool.
Combine the other ingredients. Blend your cream cheese, seasonings, sour cream, cheddar cheese and hot sauce all together.
Pour the mixture on top of the shredded chicken in the crockpot.
Turn slow cooker on high and cook 2-3 more hours.
Enjoy hot all on its own, with fresh veggies or chips.
Tips to Make This Best Buffalo Chicken Dip Crockpot Recipe
This recipe is so simple to make, and your friends will love it! You can always tweak it to be creamier, cheesier or hotter though!
- Get your cream cheese out when you go to drain the water & shred chicken. This will help it have time to soften up.
- To make it more or less hot, adjust the amount of buffalo sauce you use.
- If you’d like the recipe to be more cheesy, consider grating your own cheddar cheese on top of the final product.
We’ll also look at how you can make a skinny buffalo chicken dip below as well.
The Best Chips and Vegetables to Dip
I personally love tortilla chips with this buffalo chicken dip crock pot recipe! I mean, you are eating a boneless hot wing after all – why not splurge on a few chips?
Pretzels and crackers (like Club) go great with this dip as well. You can also always pair it with celery or carrot sticks too!
Another way to eat this is as buffalo chicken lettuce wraps!
If you’re following a keto diet – here are the best veggies for keto.
Can I Make Buffalo Chicken Dip Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Once you’ve cooked it, just store the dip in an air tight container and refrigerate. It should last up to 4 days.
To reheat it, put it into a large skillet on the stove and stir on low to medium heat. You may need to add a little cream to help it heat through.
I’m also guilty of bringing it home from a party, putting 2 spoonfuls on my plate and microwaving it for about 20 seconds. hehe!
The Best Way to Cook Chicken to Shred
You’ll notice we cook our chicken in the crockpot for this recipe. Steps 1-4 of this recipe honestly work whether you’re making this, tacos, chicken salad or anything requiring shredded chicken.
I love cooking chicken in a crockpot to shred because it’s so simple to do after its cooked! I used to bake it, but that just took too much work! This is so fast and easy!
Make a Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Instead
If you want to turn this recipe into a skinny buffalo chicken dip – you can!
In order to make this a skinny buffalo chicken dip – you can swap the cream cheese out for 1/3 less fat and buy fat free cheddar cheese.
You can also use fat-free sour cream or whole Greek yogurt.
Mind you – even the “healthy buffalo chicken dip” recipes aren’t going to be 100% nutrient dense or anything. This is just a great appetizer for a party or something to enjoy on occasion.
Now it’s your turn to make your own buffalo chicken dip!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Crock Pot Recipe (Keto Friendly & Low Carb)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 1 pound)
- 5 cups water or chicken broth
- 16 ounces cream cheese 2 packages
- 1/4 cup Hidden Valley Ranch mix Make Your Own Option: 1 Tablespoon dried onion, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon dried dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup hot sauce
- Place chicken breasts in a crockpot. Use a crock pot liner for easier clean up, or grease well with coconut oil.
- Cover with water or broth. Set crockpot on low and cook for 6-8 hours, or overnight.
- Remove chicken breasts, discard liquid and return chicken breasts back to crock pot.
- Using 2 forks, shred chicken.
- Combine cream cheese, seasonings, sour cream, cheddar cheese and hot sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Pour mixture over shredded chicken and stir well to combine in the crockpot.
- Turn crockpot on high and cook for 2-3 hours.
- Serve hot and store leftovers in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, heat in large skillet on the stove, adding a bit of cream if necessary to help warm through.
Nutritional Information is only approximate. If you'd like exact nutritional information we recommend entering it manually into a nutrition program of your choosing.