This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions shared are my own. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click to view our full disclosure.
We love pairing a larger muscle group with a smaller one. You’re going to love this chest and tricep workout at home using just dumbbells!
We put together 6 of our favorite moves you can do at home using dumbbells! While we normally coach women, this workout would work for men as well.
With any strength training, you’ll want to make sure to let your muscles rest the next day. So if you do this workout on Monday, don’t do it again until at least Wednesday.
You could do it just 1x a week in a routine as well and still see great results!
Do you need additional help with your workouts? Check out Beachbody on Demand to stream 100s of strength workouts!
How Many Reps Should I do?
Your weights and reps for this chest and tricep workout will depend on your goals and exercise level.
If you’re wanting a leaner, toned look, we recommend a light to moderate weight and upping your reps to 12-15. Allow yourself the same rest time and repeat 3x.
If you’re wanting to build lean muscle, we recommend using a moderately heavy weight and lifting it 8 to 12 times. Allow yourself to rest for 30-60 seconds and repeat 3x.
If you’re wanting major muscle mass, choose a heavy weight you can lift 1-5 reps and extend your rest in between the 3 sets.
How Heavy of Dumbbells Should I Use?
This will depend on your current strength. You’ll be using heavier weights on your chest than your triceps because it’s a bigger muscle. We use it more as well.
For us, we use about 10-25lbs on our chest for lean muscle. We use 7-12lbs on our triceps.
We love our Bowflex SelectTechs because they allow us to customizethe weight for each move easily! They also don’t take up a ton of room.
Chest and Tricep Workout Using Dumbbells
You’ll want to start by warming up.
We recommend jogging, jumping jacks, arm circles for 30 seconds each. Then stretch your chest and triceps before starting.
Then, you’ll do 3 sets of each round. So Round #1, do 3x. Then Round #2, do 3x, and so on.
Round #1: Chest Press & Tricep Overhead Extension
How to Do a Chest Press
- Lie back with your core engaged as you hold 2 free weights arm’s distance from your chest. Your palms should face forward.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells to the sides of your chest.
- Pause and push the weights to the starting position.
Tricep Overhead Extension
How to Do a Tricep Overhead Extension
*This can be a trickier move so make sure to watch the video for more tips.
- You can do this move standing or sitting as shown in the video. If you choose to stand, make sure your core is in tight before starting the movement.
- Your shoulders should be pushed down and back as you lower your arms to 90 degrees and as your extend them above your head.
Round #2: Glute Bridge with a Chest Fly & Skull Crusher
Glute Bridge with a Chest Fly
How to Do a Glute Bridge with a Chest Fly
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Your core should be engaged (belly button pulling in, lower back flat against the group). You’ll squeeze your glutes and press through the balls of your feet until your hips are lifted.
- Then keeping your elbows slightly bent and butt engaged, slowly lower the weights out and back up.
How to Do a Skull Crusher
- Lie on your back with your core engaged. Lift your weights so that your wrists are in line with your shoulders, then rotate your palms in to face each other.
- Lower your arms 90 degrees right by your earlobes.
- As you get tired, your elbows may want to flare out. Imagine a beachball is between your elbows and remember to keep them pulling in and keep to that 90 degree angle as you extend back.
Round #3: Rotating Chest Press & Tricep Kickbacks
Rotating Chest Press
How to Do a Rotating Chest Press
- You’re going to start in position one of a normal chest press.
- As you push the weights up, make sure your core is engaged and you’re going to rotate your palms in to face one another.
- Rotate palms to face forward as you lower down.
How to Do a Rotating Chest Press
- Stand about hip-width apart with your palms facing inward.
- Keeping your elbows close to your side, curl your dumbbells towards your shoulders and lean forward slightly.
- As you extend your arms back, keep them close to your side. Bring them back in and repeat.
After finishing your sets, you’ll want to cool down and stretch out the muscles you just worked.
You may also like our 7 Day Home Workout Plan for Weight Loss (with Printable Workouts!)
Want another Chest and Tricep Workout?
We love working out at home with dumbbells. This chest and tricep workout is similar to what we do at home, but we prefer to stream workouts.
This way you can see a trainer using proper form and hear his or her cueing as you workout.
Our Favorite At Home Strength Workout Programs
We did a Beachbody on Demand review a few years ago, and we love streaming our workouts!
A few of our favorite strength training programs are:
- LIIFT4 – 30-40 minutes, 4x a week, never repeat a workout (includes a new chest and tricep workout each week!)
- Hammer & Chisel – 30-40 minutes, 6x a week, 2 trainers
- Body Beast – 11-53 minutes, 6x a week
- 80 Day Obsession – 30-60 minutes, 6x a week, never repeat a workout
Are you looking to get max results?
If you’re needing to mix up your routine, we’d love to have you apply to join our 21 Day Challenge!
For the challenge, you share your goals, lifestyle and where you feel like you need the most help. From there, we suggest a plan to help you hit your goals.
We then offer online support and accountability to keep you motivated!
You may also like: