Chalene Johnson’s PiYo workouts are a blend of low-impact cardio, pilates, and yoga. The 60 day program helps you tone up, burn fat, and lose weight in 60 days!
We’ll be looking at the workouts, results, calendar, and cost of the at home workouts in our PiYo review.
What is PiYo Workout?
PiYo is a combination of low-impact cardio, pilates, and yoga set to music. Unlike traditional practices, you will flow through the moves even holding them. These dynamic movements help you improve your flexibility, burn calories, and build lean muscle using your own bodyweight.
The program was designed by Chalene Johnson, and it’s taught in gyms and is also available to be done at home with DVDs or on Beachbody on Demand.
How PiYo Works
PiYo has you constantly flowing through different poses to rev your heart rate, and the planks, lunges, squats, and core moves keep your muscles challenged!
Why We Chose PiYo
PiYo combines so many aspects of fitness – pilates, yoga, movement, and strength – that is was a no-brainer for us to try it!
We chose PiYo because it helps you:
- improve your flexibility
- torch calories
- burn fat
- build long and lean muscles
- protect your joints through low-impact moves.
Who Should Try Beachbody’s PiYo?
- Someone brand new to fitness or just returning to working out
- People that want to do pilates or yoga but still want to feel a burn of a workout
- Someone wanting to lose weight but not wanting to do a lot of jumping
- Normal exercisers wanting to add in variety
- Someone wanting a fun workout
We also ranked it as one of our top workouts for women over 40!
Does Piyo Work?
Yes, PiYo has been shown to help people lose weight, increase flexibility, and tone up when combined with healthy lifestyle changes like diet.
How many calories do you burn in PiYo?
PiYo typically burns more calories than a traditional pilates or yoga class. Typically, a 50 minute class will burn around 300 calories. We recommend wearing a heart-rate monitor to get a better indication of how many calories you’re personally burning.
Using the at home PiYo workouts, we burned approximately:
- Fundamentals – 50 calories
- Define: Lower Body – 75 calories
- Define: Upper Body -75 calories
- Sweat – 260 calories
- Core – 100 calories
- Strength Intervals -150 calories
- Drench-300 calories
- Sculpt – 160 calories
- Buns -175 calories
- Hardcore on the Floor -150 calories
All of the workouts minus Drench were around 30 minutes.
Is PiYo Effective for Weight Loss?
PiYo is effective for weight loss. The workouts are low-impact but high-intensity which means you’ll burn a ton of calories each class. We burned 200-400 calories per class — which is more than a traditional Pilates or Yoga workout. The program includes a meal plan which will also help your weight loss.
You can expect to flow through the moves to burn calories and hold moves for a couple of counts to tone your whole body. You can expect to see results in just 1 round of the workouts and meal plan.
Is PiYo Cardio or Strength Training?
PiYo blends the flow of yoga, the strength training of Pilates and cardio together for a quick total body workout. It isn’t purely a cardio or strength training program; it combines several areas of fitness into each class for a new workout experience.
How Many Days a Week Do You Do PiYo?
PiYo is a 60-day program, and you’ll workout 6 days a week. Most of the workouts are about 30 minutes, but they range from 25-45 minutes.
What Equipment Do You Need?
PiYo doesn’t require any equipment, but I liked having a yoga mat for stability.
If you choose to get the 2 advanced strength workouts, you can use sliders (included with the strength workouts).
Is there a modifier?
Yes, you’ll have a modifier in every workout. She uses a chair in some of the routines.
Who Created PiYo?
We love Chalene because she’s not afraid to challenge you during your workouts, and she is so motivating as well!
This 5-minute video is great to help you decide if it’s for you, and also see if you like her personality.
The PiYo Meal Plan uses a simple formula to help you see how many calories you should eat each day. It also breaks down how many servings of each food group you should eat each day.
The food groups are:
- Grains and starches
- Lean protein
- Healthy fat
If you’re interested in a more detailed meal plan check out Ultimate Portion Fix as an add-on, or if you’ve tried the containers and weren’t a fan, we really love the 2B Mindset with this program instead.
Get a sample PiYo Meal Plan
You’ll receive 9 workouts on 3 DVDs in the base kit for $59.95.
- PiYo Align: The Fundamentals (40 minutes): This workout breaks down the proper form of each move. This is one you will want to do in the beginning but not something you’ll use a lot.
- Define Upper Body (20 minutes): Your triceps, shoulders, and arms are going to get a killer workout with different types of planks and pushups.
- Define Lower Body (20 minutes): This workout really stretches out my legs and also leaves them feeling like jello (in a good way). Get ready to perfect your downward dog.
- Sweat (35 minutes): This is by far my favorite workout – it’s 38 minutes long. It’s a full-body workout with a great mix of core stabilization, upper and lower strength moves, and flexibility training.
- Core (30 minutes): You’ll work your core standing and on the ground.
- Buns (28 minutes): A killer lower body workout! It’s short but intense. Get ready for squats, sumos, and lunges.
- Strength Intervals (22 minutes): This is not really a pilates or yoga workout to me, but it’s a good change. It mixes resistance training using your body weight in with cardio moves.
- Drench (48 minutes): This is like the “Sweat” workout on steroids. Be prepared to shower and wash your hair after.
- Sculpt (30 minutes): This is not really a “pilates and yoga” workout in my opinion, but it does challenge your whole body! Your legs, triceps, and buns are going to be on fire.
- Hardcore on the Floor (30 minutes): This is a bonus workout if you order from a coach like us and can be used instead of “Core” workout.
The Deluxe Pack offers 2 additional workouts Full Body Blast and Strong Legs. Both bonus workouts are 30 minutes and use strength slides.
What is a Strength Slide?
A strength slide is a plastic plate that you can use on carpet or hardwood to help you get the most from core and lower body moves!
What to Expect from a PiYo Workout
PiYo workouts are a fun twist to Pilates and Yoga classes. The workouts are set to pop music and have you flowing through moves. Chalene Johnson, the inventor of the program, includes sports training, core conditioning, dance, stretching, and athletic drills into the routines to get you max results quicker!
You can do PiYo even if you’re not experienced in pilates or yoga. You’ll learn poses like Downward Dog, Crescent, Child’s Pose, and Warrior in class.
PiYo Workout Schedule
There is a basic and strength calendar, and both calendars are 8 weeks long.
Both calendars include 6 workouts a week, and they range from a focused area like Buns to a flowing routine like Drench.
The Basic Calendar is perfect for your first round of PiYo, and then you can always push harder in your second round with the Strength Calendar.
View The PiYo Calendar and Hybrid Schedules
- It works those small muscles that often get missed
- You don’t need any equipment
- You’re building lean muscle versus looking bulky
- It really makes you tighten your whole core – helps your abs and low-back!
- You’re constantly moving and flowing through the moves
- Since you’re flowing through the routines, your heart rate will increase like a cardio workout
- It’s unique and something fun to mix into a routine or do on its own
- We love that it’s low-impact – gotta protect the knees!
- If you stream your workouts, there are live classes you can do as well!
- Some of Month 1’s workouts could be longer by 5-10 minutes for a challenge
- Some of the workouts aren’t actually PiYo; they’re more interval based.
- If you’ve done a live class, the music isn’t as fun on the DVDs.
Any Alternatives to PiYo?
None of them are exactly like PiYo, but they are similar.
What is included with PiYo?
Whether you choose the DVD option or to stream, you’ll receive the workouts above as well as the following goodies!
- Quick Start Guide: It outlines how to get the maximum results in 8 weeks.
- 10 Workouts on 3 DVDS
- 60-Day Workout Calendar
- Measuring tape for tracking your progress
- Get Lean Meal Plan
- Tape Measure
- Buns Workout
- Online Support
1. 10 Workouts on 3 DVDs
If you chose to get PiYo on DVD, you’ll receive the 10 workouts outlined above on 3 DVDs.
The modifier is great in all of the workouts, and don’t worry if you have to modifier to go slower at first. You’ll get stronger every time you do the workout.
2. Quick Start Guide
The Quick Start Guide helps you learn the basics behind PiYo. It’s really not a ton of new information since you’re also reading this post, but it may be helpful as you get started!
3. PiYo 60-Day Workout Calendar
The wall calendar is both helpful and motivating as you start this at home workout program.
4. Get Lean Eating Plan
The nutrition guide helps you learn not only what to eat but the right portions and servings of each food group will fuel your body the best!
5. Tape Measure
Along with the scale, a tape measure is a great way to track your progress. We love using a body measurement chart to track our results.
6. Buns Workout
You’ll also receive an additional bonus workout DVD that focuses on your quads, hamstrings, and bum!
How Much Does PiYo cost?
There are a few options when you order PiYo, and the price depends on what option you chose.
The base kit, outlined above, is $59.95.
You can also choose the Deluxe kit which includes 2 additional PiYo workouts and strength slides for $119.95.
What is the PiYo Challenge Pack?
A Challenge Pack includes both your PiYo workouts and Shakeology.
If you’re unfamiliar with Shakeology it’s a nutrient-dense super foods shake that could help with your results.
See our Shakeology review for more information and why we tried it.
Either option would include the ability to stream all of the PiYo workouts, download the printable materials, and give you access to a full nutritional program and Shakeology.
Should You Get it on DVD or Stream It?
Is PiYo on Beachbody on Demand?
You can also get access to PiYo with any Beachbody on Demand Membership!
You can stream all of the workouts and download digital copies of the program materials. It’s super easy to use, and you also get access to 100s of other exercise programs!
I love having the extra workouts to mix into my routine and keep me challenged. You can stream from a laptop, iPhone, iPad, or your TV with a streaming device!
You can also stream free for 2 weeks by choosing the 3-month option here.
After the trial, it’s $39 per quarter after ($13 a month). You can also cancel at any time including during the trial!
Here’s a little sneak peek at the layout.
Get PiYo Now
We’d love to be your coaches and help you succeed with this workout and meal plan! Feel free to email us at email@example.com.
We’ll also be assigned to your coach if you order through this post. Just make sure it says Kim at check out or look up 301223.
- Best deal: 2B Mindset Challenge Pack with streaming $160
- Best deal: Ultimate Portion Fix Challenge Pack. with streaming $160
- Good deal: Get Streaming Plus Shakeology
- Good deal: Get DVDs + Shakeology
You can also choose to a non-workout supplement option:
Should You Consider Beachbody Coaching?
If you’re looking into Shakeology or another Beachbody supplement, coaches get 25% off most of their orders!
We also make 25% commission on any orders placed through our website, and we never have to have inventory on hand!
Other Resources You Might Like
- Looking for a traditional yoga workout? Check out 3 Week Yoga Retreat.
- The 21 Day Fix is great for quick results!
- 10 Healthy Lifestyle Tips That You Can Easily Do Daily