We decided to try Chalene Johnson’s PiYo workouts because they’re low impact blend but still challenging! They combine pilates, and yoga. We’ll be looking at the workouts, results, calendar, and cost of the at home workouts in our review.
What is PiYo Workout?
Chalene Johnson’s PiYo workouts blend Pilates and Yoga to strengthen your total body while improving your flexibility. The low-impact workouts are challenging and have a cardio effect as well! They are on Beachbody on Demand, require no equipment, and range from 15-60 minutes.
PiYo helps you improve your flexibility, torch calories, burn fat, build long and lean muscles, and protect your joints through low-impact moves.
What to Expect from a PiYo Workout
The workouts are a fun twist to Pilates and Yoga classes. The workouts are set to pop music and have you flowing through moves. Chalene Johnson, the inventor of the program, includes sports training, core conditioning, dance, stretching, and athletic drills into the routines to get you max results quicker!
You can do these workouts even if you’re not experienced in pilates or yoga. You’ll learn poses like Downward Dog, Crescent, Child’s Pose, and Warrior in class.
Who Should Try Beachbody’s PiYo?
- Someone brand new to fitness or just returning to working out
- People that want to do pilates or yoga but still want to feel a burn of a workout
- Someone wanting to lose weight but not wanting to do a lot of jumping
- Normal exercisers wanting to add in variety
- Someone wanting a fun workout
We also ranked it as one of our top workouts for women over 40!
Is PiYo Effective for Weight Loss?
Yes! It is effective for weight loss. The workouts are low-impact but high-intensity which means you’ll burn a ton of calories each class. We burned 200-400 calories per class — which is more than a traditional Pilates or Yoga workout. The program includes a meal plan which will also help your weight loss.
How Many Days a Week Do You Do PiYo?
PiYo is a 60-day program, and you’ll workout 6 days a week. Most of the workouts are about 30 minutes, but they range from 25-45 minutes.
What Equipment Do You Need?
PiYo doesn’t require any equipment, but I liked having a yoga mat for stability. If you choose to get the 2 advanced strength workouts, you can use sliders (included with the strength workouts).
You can expect to flow through the moves to burn calories and hold moves for a couple of counts to tone your whole body. You can expect to see results in just 1 round of the workouts and meal plan.
View More PiYo Before and After Results
The program includes 12 workouts:
- Align: The Fundamentals (40 minutes): This workout breaks down the proper form of each move. This is one you will want to do in the beginning but not something you’ll use a lot.
- Define Upper Body (20 minutes): Your triceps, shoulders, and arms are going to get a killer workout with different types of planks and pushups.
- Define Lower Body (20 minutes): This workout really stretches out my legs and also leaves them feeling like jello (in a good way). Get ready to perfect your downward dog.
- Sweat (35 minutes): This is by far my favorite workout – it’s 38 minutes long. It’s a full-body workout with a great mix of core stabilization, upper and lower strength moves, and flexibility training.
- Core (30 minutes): You’ll work your core standing and on the ground.
- Buns (28 minutes): A killer lower body workout! It’s short but intense. Get ready for squats, sumos, and lunges.
- Strength Intervals (22 minutes): This is not really a pilates or yoga workout to me, but it’s a good change. It mixes resistance training using your body weight in with cardio moves.
- Drench (48 minutes): This is like the “Sweat” workout on steroids. Be prepared to shower and wash your hair after.
- Sculpt (30 minutes): This is not really a “pilates and yoga” workout in my opinion, but it does challenge your whole body! Your legs, triceps, and buns are going to be on fire.
- Hardcore on the Floor (30 minutes): This is a bonus workout if you order from a coach like us and can be used instead of “Core” workout.
- Full Body Blast (30 minutes): I love this one to get in a total body workout quickly! This workout uses strength slides, but you can also use paper plates.
- Strong Legs (30 minutes): I love to add in this leg workout even if I’m doing another program like LIIFT4.
What is a Strength Slide?
A strength slide is a plastic plate that you can use on carpet or hardwood to help you get the most from core and lower body moves!
PiYo Workout Schedule
There is a basic and strength calendar, and both calendars are 8 weeks long. Both calendars include 6 workouts a week, and they range from a focused area like Buns to a flowing routine like Drench. The Basic Calendar is perfect for your first round, and then you can always push harder in your second round with the Strength Calendar.
View The PiYo Calendar and Hybrid Schedules
- It works those small muscles that often get missed
- You don’t need any equipment
- You’re building lean muscle versus looking bulky
- It really makes you tighten your whole core – helps your abs and low-back!
- You’re constantly moving and flowing through the moves
- Since you’re flowing through the routines, your heart rate will increase like a cardio workout
- It’s unique and something fun to mix into a routine or do on its own
- We love that it’s low-impact – gotta protect the knees!
- If you stream your workouts, there are live classes you can do as well!
- Some of Month 1’s workouts could be longer by 5-10 minutes for a challenge
- Some of the workouts aren’t actually PiYo; they’re more interval based.
- If you’ve done a live class, the music isn’t as fun on the DVDs.
- If you’re looking for a workout that is similar to PiYo, we’d recommend Barre Blend, Xtend Barre, or XB Pilates.
The PiYo Meal Plan uses a simple formula to help you see how many calories you should eat each day. It also breaks down how many servings of each food group you should eat each day.
The food groups are:
- Grains and starches
- Lean protein
- Healthy fat
If you’re interested in a more detailed meal plan check out Ultimate Portion Fix as an add-on, or if you’ve tried the containers and weren’t a fan, we really love the 2B Mindset with this program instead.
Get a sample PiYo Meal Plan
What is included with PiYo?
We recommend getting this prorgam on Beachbody on Demand! This will allow you to stream all of the original workouts plus about a dozen live PiYo classes and 100s of additional workouts!
You’ll also receive digital access to:
- Quick Start Guide
- All of the Workouts
- 60-Day Workout Calendar
- Get Lean Meal Plan
- Online Support
1. 12 Workouts + Access to all of Beachbody on Demand
The modifier is great in all of the workouts, and don’t worry if you have to modifier to go slower at first. You’ll get stronger every time you do the workout.
2. Quick Start Guide
The Quick Start Guide helps you learn the basics. It’s really not a ton of new information since you’re also reading this post, but it may be helpful as you get started!
3. PiYo 60-Day Workout Calendar
The wall calendar is both helpful and motivating as you start this at home workout program.
4. Get Lean Eating Plan
The nutrition guide helps you learn not only what to eat but the right portions and servings of each food group will fuel your body the best!
5. Online Support
Along with anything you order, you receive a Beachbody Coach like my mom and me. We offer daily support, monthly bootcamps, recipes, ebooks with meal plan tips, and much more! You can get us as your coach by emailing us at email@example.com if you’re not already working with someone.
How Much Does PiYo cost?
There are a few options when you order.
- Best deal: 2B Mindset Challenge Pack with streaming $160
- Best deal: Ultimate Portion Fix Challenge Pack. with streaming $160
- Good deal: Get Streaming Plus Shakeology
- Good deal: Get DVDs + Shakeology
You can also choose to a non-workout supplement option:
Should You Consider Beachbody Coaching?
If you’re looking into Shakeology or another Beachbody supplement, coaches get 25% off their orders! We also make 25% commission on any orders placed through our website, and we never have to have inventory on hand! You can learn more about coaching here or Sign up to Coach for Free with the PiYo Challenge Pack!
PiYo workouts are a blend of Pilates and Yoga and offer a high-intensity workout while staying low-impact. All you need is about 30-60 minutes to start burning calories, building lean muscle, and improving your flexibility. The program is available on Beachbody on Demand and DVD. It also includes a basic nutrition guide to help you get started with your healthy eating.