Beachbody and Chalene Johnson teamed up to create a Pilates and Yoga workout to torch calories and tone your core! PiYo, Chalene’s fusion of Pilates and Yoga, includes core work, flexibility, and strength moves! Plus the music and flow kept our minds busy and hearts pumping.
(Know you want it? Get it on Beachbody on Demand Now)
PiYo Workout Benefits:
- improves flexibility
- torches calories
- burns fat
- builds long and lean muscles
- allows you to go low-impact to protect your joints
- (Try it free for 2 weeks with Beachbody on Demand)
So we were so excited to see it available on DVD or to stream on Beachbody on Demand. While it’s not like doing a live class, we still had a lot of fun with it.
PiYo Frequently Asked Questions
This 5-minute video is great to help you decide if it’s for you, and also see if you like her personality.
Who is it for?
- Someone brand new to fitness or just returning to working out
- People that want to do pilates or yoga but still want to feel a burn of a workout
- Someone wanting to lose weight but not wanting to do a lot of jumping
- Normal exercisers wanting to add in variety
- Someone wanting a fun workout
How long are PiYo Workouts?
Each PiYo workout ranges from 25-48 minutes.
Most are right at that 30-minute mark, but some of them in Month 1 are just super short. You can view the schedule here.
What to Expect from PiYo
Chalene Johnson has said the workouts blend:
- sports training
- core conditioning
- athletic drills
The reason it combines all 5 practices is to help you burn a ton of calories while creating lean muscle.
It’s also a low-impact workout so you’ll focus on high intensity without jumping.
You can expect to flow through the moves to burn calories and hold moves for a couple of counts to tone your whole body. You can expect to see results in just 1 round of the workouts and meal plan.
There is a basic and strength calendar, and both calendars are 8 weeks long.
Both calendars include 6 workouts a week, and they range from a focused area like Buns to a flowing routine like Drench.
What equipment do you need for a PiYo workout?
Nothing. I personally like to have a yoga mat for stability though. You can use just your body weight for all of the workouts.
If you choose to get the 2 advanced strength workouts, you can use sliders (included with the strength workouts).
Is there a modifier?
Yes, you’ll have a modifier in every workout. She uses a chair in some of the routines.
PiYo Meal Plan
The PiYo Meal Plan uses portion control containers to help you easily track your calories and macros without having to count them!
It’s very simple to follow and broken down into food groups. It’s also very similar to the 21 Day Fix meal plan with containers if you’ve done that program. The only difference for us was that we got 1 extra vegetable (or green container) a day.
The plan doesn’t include any types of treats. If you’ve tried the containers and weren’t a fan, we really love the 2B Mindset with this program instead.
Yoga vs PiYo
PiYo goes at a faster pace than yoga but does include yoga moves. You are not holding any of the moves very long. If you’re looking for a traditional yoga workout, I would suggest the 3 Week Yoga Retreat. There are also some really great yoga workouts coming to Beachbody on Demand each month.
You might also like Yoga for Beginners: The Foundation to Poses, Flow and More
Pilates vs PiYo
PiYo mixes yoga and pilates together, and it goes at a fast pace to burn calories. Some of the moves are very controlled which reminds me of Pilates; however, there isn’t a ton of focus on the breath.
Do any of the workouts have meditations or salutations in them?
Is it on DVD?
Yes, you can do PiYo on DVD or with Beachbody on Demand.
Your PiYo Workout Ordering Options
You can order any option through us below and also get access to our 21 Day Challenge with additional help, support, and prizes.
If this post helped you, make sure it says Kalee at check out or look up 1001548. :)
We’re both full-time coaches here to help you!
You can also choose to get the workouts on DVD.
You’ll receive 9 workouts on 3 DVDs in the base kit for $59.95.
- PiYo Align: The Fundamentals: This workout breaks down the proper form of each move. This is one you will want to do in the beginning, but not something you’ll use a lot.
- Define Upper Body: Your triceps, shoulders, and arms are going to get a killer workout with different types of planks and pushups.
- Define Lower Body: This workout really stretches out my legs and also leaves them feeling like jello (in a good way). Get ready to perfect your downward dog.
- Sweat: This is by far my favorite workout – it’s 38 minutes long. It’s a full-body workout with a great mix of core stabilization, upper and lower strength moves, and flexibility training.
- Core: You’ll work your core standing and on the ground. You’ll also receive “Hardcore on the Floor” if you order from a coach like us — which is my favorite of the two!
- Buns: A killer lower body workout! It’s short but intense. Get ready for squats, sumos, and lunges.
- Strength Intervals: This is not really a pilates or yoga workout to me, but it’s a good change. It mixes resistance training using your body weight in with cardio moves.
- Drench: This is like the “Sweat” workout on steroids. Be prepared to shower and wash your hair after.
- Sculpt: This is not really a “pilates and yoga” workout in my opinion, but it does challenge your whole body! Your legs, triceps, and buns are going to be on fire.
You also receive:
- Quick Start Guide: It outlines how to get the maximum results in 8 weeks.
- 60-Day Workout Calendar
- Measuring tape for tracking your progress
- Get Lean Eating Plan
- Buns Workout
- 24/7 Online Support
What We Love About PiYo
- It works those small muscles that often get missed
- You don’t need any equipment
- You’re building lean muscle versus looking bulky
- It really makes you tighten your whole core – helps your abs and low-back!
- You’re constantly moving and flowing through the moves
- Since you’re flowing through the routines, our heart rate was high like a cardio workout
- It’s unique and something fun to mix into a routine or do on its own
- We love that it’s low-impact – gotta protect the knees!
- If you stream your workouts, there are live classes you can do as well!
What We Didn’t Like
- Some of Month 1’s workouts could be longer by 5-10 minutes for a challenge
- Some of the workouts aren’t actually PiYo; they’re more interval based.
- If you’ve done a live class, the music isn’t as fun on the DVDs.
PiYo vs ChaLEAN Extreme
The only similarities of PiYo and ChaLEAN Extreme are that Chalene Johnson is the trainer and both workouts can be done at home.
ChaLEAN Extreme contains 2 yoga-type workouts, but most of the workouts lift heavy weights.
Both programs will tone your muscles, but PiYo will create lean muscles whereas ChaLEAN is building muscle mass.
If you’re wanting to gain muscle while still losing inches, ChaLEAN Extreme might be better for you.
If you do the free 14 Day Trial to Beachbody on Demand, you can stream both programs and see what you like best!
Is PiYo on Beachbody on Demand?
You can stream PiYo with Beachbody on Demand now! All of the workouts below are included, as well as, about a dozen live classes that have been recorded by master trainers! I love having the extra workouts to mix into my routine and keep me challenged. You can stream from a laptop, iPhone, iPad, or your TV with a streaming device!
You can also stream free for 2 weeks*. After the trial, it’s $39 per quarter after ($13 a month). You can also cancel at any time including during the trial!
What’s the calorie burn like? Is it good for weight loss?
I personally burned anywhere from 170 with the first basic workout (about 18 minutes) to 400 in the longest workout called Drench. This is higher than my normal yoga class calorie burn since you are constantly flowing through movements.
Typically you want to have a 250 calorie deficit between your workouts and meal plan to burn 1 pound per week. Between the workouts and the meal plan, you can definitely lose weight doing PiYo. If you are wanting fast results also check out the 21 Day Fix.
Get PiYo Now
We’d love to be your coaches and help you succeed with this workout and meal plan! Feel free to email us at email@example.com.
We’ll also be assigned to your coach if you order through this post. Just make sure it says Kalee at check out or look up 1001548. :)
Copying any part of this post is a violation of intellectual property. The opinions and answers shared above are my own and should not be copied in part or full for another blog. If it is copied, you will be contacted by our legal team.