We were so excited to find out we could do PiYo workouts at home! We had tried it at live events before, and we absolutely loved the physical and mental energy it gave us! So after finishing up a round of P90X3, we tried our a PiYo workout on Beachbody on Demand.
While it’s not like doing a live class, we still had a lot of fun with it.
If you’ve never done or heard of PiYo before, here’s a breakdown of the what to expect.
PiYo is a full-body workout that helps build strength, endurance, and flexibility through a blend of Yoga and Pilates. It’s perfect for someone just starting or someone super-fit because your range of motion will be different at any fitness level. As we become more fit, we also need more flexibility training to continue to build lean muscle. This workout is a calorie-torching way to safety stretch and get long, lean muscles.
PiYo workout Perks:
- improves flexibility
- torches calories
- burns fat
- builds long and lean muscles
- allows you to go low-impact to protect your joints
Our Personal PiYo Review
PiYo has actually been in a lot of gyms for years, but we never had one close by that taught it. So we were so excited to be able to do the workouts at home – and have Chalene as our trainer after falling in love with ChaLEAN Extreme and TurboFire years before.
What We Love About PiYo
- It works those small muscles that often get missed
- You don’t need any equipment
- You’re building lean muscle versus looking bulky
- It really makes you tighten your whole core – helps your abs and low-back!
- You’re constantly moving and flowing through the moves
- Since you’re flowing through the routines, our heart rate was high like a cardio workout
- It’s unique and something fun to mix into a routine or do on its own
- We love that it’s low-impact – gotta protect the knees!
We did a live PiYo workout with Chalene and about 40 others last year, and we fell in love with it. The unique workout DVDs are no different. We’ve never dreaded a certain move or workout like some other programs.
Check out the Base or Deluxe Kit or Stream PiYo with On Demand’s All Access Pass
What We Would Change About PiYo
- Some of Month 1’s workouts could be longer by 5-10 minutes for a challenge
- Some of the workouts aren’t actually PiYo; they’re more interval based.
- If you’ve done a live class, the music isn’t as fun on the DVDs.
PiYo Frequently Asked Questions
Who is it for?
- Someone brand new to fitness or just returning to working out
- People that want to do pilates or yoga but still want to feel a burn of a workout
- Someone wanting to lose weight but not wanting to do a lot of jumping
- Normal exercisers wanting to add in variety
- Someone wanting a fun workout
Is it like Yoga?
Sort of – it’s a faster pace than yoga but does include yoga moves. You are not holding any of the moves very long. If you’re looking for a traditional yoga workout, I would suggest the 3 Week Yoga Retreat. There are also some really great yoga workouts coming to Beachbody on Demand each month.
PiYo Workout Length
I actually wish there were some longer workouts (which I never say!). Each PiYo workout ranges from 25-48 minutes. Most are right at that 30-minute mark, but some of them in Month 1 are just super short. You could do a hybrid of PiYo with another workout like Insanity Max 30 or TurboFire if you’re an advanced exerciser.
How long is the PiYo Calendar?
There is a basic and strength calendar, and both calendars are 8 weeks long.
What equipment do you need?
Nothing. I personally like to have a yoga mat for stability though. You can use just your body weight for all of the workouts. If you choose to get the 2 advanced strength workouts, you can use sliders (included with the strength workouts).
You’ll receive 9 workouts on 3 DVDs in the PiYo base kit for $59.95.
- PiYo Align: The Fundamentals: This workout breaks down the proper form of each move. This is one you will want to do in the beginning, but not something you’ll use a lot.
- Define Upper Body: Your triceps, shoulders, and arms are going to get a killer workout with different types of planks and pushups.
- Define Lower Body: This workout really stretches out my legs and also leaves them feeling like jello (in a good way). Get ready to perfect your downward dog.
- Sweat: This is by far my favorite PiYo workout – it’s 38 minutes long. It’s a full-body workout with a great mix of core stabilization, upper and lower strength moves, and flexibility training.
- Core: You’ll work your core standing and on the ground. You’ll also receive “Hardcore on the Floor” if you order from a coach like us — which is my favorite of the two!
- Buns: A killer lower body workout! It’s short but intense. Get ready for squats, sumos, and lunges.
- Strength Intervals: This is not really a pilates or yoga workout to me, but it’s a good change. It mixes resistance training using your body weight in with cardio moves.
- Drench: This is like the “Sweat” workout on steroids. Be prepared to shower and wash your hair after.
- Sculpt: This is not really a “pilates and yoga” workout in my opinion, but it does challenge your whole body! Your legs, triceps, and buns are going to be on fire.
You also receive:
- Quick Start Guide: It outlines how to get the maximum results in 8 weeks.
- PiYo 60-Day Workout Calendar
- Measuring tape for tracking your progress
- Get Lean Eating Plan
- Buns Workout
- 24/7 Online Support
You can also stream PiYo, along with EVERY Beachbody workout, with Beachbody On Demand’s All Access Pass.
The All-Access Pass allows you to stream any Beachbody workout for a monthly membership, and you can even download any of the meal plans.
With the Pass, you also get access to any NEW Beachbody workout too! If you’re interested in streaming you can check out the details here.
What’s the calorie burn like? Is it good for weight loss?
I personally burned anywhere from 170 with the first basic workout (about 18 minutes) to 400 in the longest workout called Drench. This is higher than my normal yoga class calorie burn since you are constantly flowing through movements.
Typically you want to have a 250 calorie deficit between your workouts and meal plan to burn 1 pound per week. Between the workouts and the meal plan, you can definitely lose weight doing PiYo. If you are wanting fast results also check out the 21 Day Fix. You could do it first then PiYo.
Does any PiYo workout have meditations or salutations in it?
What’s the PiYo Meal Plan Like?
It’s very simple to follow and broken down into food groups. Here’s our review of the full meal plan. It’s very similar to the 21 Day Fix meal plan with containers if you’ve done that program. The only difference for us was that we got 1 extra vegetable (or green container) a day with PiYo.
You can check out what we ate with PiYo here.
Would a man do this workout program?
Who can do PiYo? Is it challenging?
Anyone – it’s low-impact so even those with knee problems may enjoy PiYo. I can see a teenager doing it to someone in their 60s. It does have a lot of balance training in it, but there is a modifier and chair options for beginners.
I know it would be challenging for a beginner. I know some high-impact, HIIT cardio junkies will say PiYo bored them…but I find it challenging! Even as you improve your cardio and train with free weights, you still can be weak in smaller muscle groups and flexibility. PiYo helps hit those areas as well as getting in a little cardio to make a more-rounded fitness level in my opinion.
If you think PiYo would be the perfect workout for you – we’d love to have you join our challenge!
We do one every month with daily accountability, meal ideas, and prizes!! You’ll automatically get an invite by ordering through any link on this page and having us as your coaches. Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chalene Johnson has said PiYo blends:
- sports training
- core conditioning
- athletic drills
The reason it combines all 5 practices is to help you burn a ton of calories while creating lean muscle.
Her description is so accurate — PiYo combines so many fitness principles it’s crazy. The PiYo workouts kick our butts but in a good, new way.
The workouts are perfect for people trying to get as much in as they can in a short time or for someone that has a hard time focusing with yoga (me!). I loved how she combined light cardio with sculpting and stretching.
Your PiYo Workout Ordering Options
You can order any option through us below and also get access to our 21 Day Challenge with additional help, support, and prizes.
Just click any link below & email us at email@example.com to let us know you’re in for the monthly challenge!! Can’t wait to talk to you more!!
Are you excited to try the new PiYo workouts by Chalene Johnson??
Check out the Base or Deluxe Kit or Stream PiYo with On Demand’s All Access Pass
Copying any part of this post is a violation of intellectual property. The opinions and answers shared above are my own and should not be copied in part or full for another blog. If it is copied, you will be contacted by our legal team.